Monday, February 13, 2012

Days of Empire

Last Tuesday I told my boss I would not be continuing on with my current position (DSM) when I finish rehab/disability. I said in 1 week (tomorrow) I would let him know on a new position he had offered (Brokerage MGR). Everyone assumes I will accept this and start likely 4/01, mainly, I assume, because of my medical issues and, of course, the health insurance. And my living expenses are not insignificant. It would be prudent to take the job.

Competitor A also has 2 offers on the table: the DSM as a fallback should I decide I must do that again; and the Brokerage MGR at what seems to me significantly superior compensation (a large percentage is projection/commission). Insurance and so forth is comparable.

Tomorrow I will tell Boss that I am passing on the new job. We will work something out where I finish my rehab (hopefully released by end of March). COBRA will continue my insurance for 18 months at a reasonable rate. I am tired of working for others, of having a boss. Which means I will have to inform Competitor A that I will not come work for them either (I probably would tire of them much more slowly -- I greatly liked meeting/discussing business with them).

So what is left for me to sort is how I will be earning money for the foreseeable future. I can return to selling insurance for MOO as I did prior to accepting the DSM in 2010. I  can open my own shop and work solo or hire and train agents (this is appealing at some level). I can use this time to finish my novel while figuring out some way to keep The Empire reasonably sated so that some income continues whilst I pursue what the hell I want to be doing in the first second and third place. This last choice is the most appealing and, at present, my default position. Details needed to ensure more likely success. Plans.

When I got this place at The Vistana I knew it had to lead to me staying home writing. It is just too spectacular. I remember talking with CC about it, saying it was outrageous on my part. And that screw it, I deserved outrageous. Well here we are. I can't wait to get going again. And I am very nervous. Quite a lot has changed since Adams Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment